In January 2019, NHS England published the NHS Long Term Plan. This sets out priorities for healthcare over the next ten years. It also shows how the NHS funding will be used.
Key aims include:
· more joined-up and coordinated in care
· more proactive services
· more personalised care for individuals.
There are 5 major changes to help bring this about over the next five years:
- Boost ‘out-of-hospital’ care; and get rid of the barriers between GP practices and community care
- Reduce pressure on emergency hospital services
- Give people more control over their own health
- Use digital technology to improve patient care
- Local NHS organisations will focus on their local population. They will work in partnership with local authorities.